Monday, July 26, 2010

killer bees sting a lasting sting......killed two beloved horses.

Yes its true....the unthinkable nightmare, on June 21, 2010 I got a call from my ranch manager, "Get here now, there are bees attacking our beloved Scoop and Charger, and Charger is down."
That's all I had to here. I jumped in my car and headed toward the ranch. My mind was going a mile a minute, what does this mean? Can bees kill horses? I honestly could not fathom what I would walk into. All I could think of is this has to be bigger than I can imagine for me to get this frantic call.  What do you do?
I remember seeing all of those 911 T.V shows and remember seeing a lady attacked by bees, the fire dept. was called and they where trying to save her with there fire hoses.
So...on the way to the ranch I called 911 and our emergency vet. Dr. McNeil.  I remember asking the vet "can bees kill a horse?" When I heard the dreaded answer yes, I said please come right away, this doesn't sound good.
When I got there it was complete ciaos.  The details of that night are still too difficult for me to share. All I can say is a fire in a barn would of been the equivalent.
As I try to write this tears fill my eyes, Even the fire dept. was afraid to get out of the truck, the scene was like a movie, I couldn't believe what was happening. The movie "Jumangie" comes to mind.
All I can remember saying is please don't tell me we cant save these horses. As the night unfolded Charger and Scoop gave up their lives to the bees.
Little did I know that Africanized bees and come onto my property and set up camp, robbing my friendly honey bees of their hives. I heard later that there was over 500,000 of them.
Why they chose to attack the horses that night we don't know for sure, but I do know that the horses gave their lives in such a noble way, possibly saving us humans and other horses.
The story doesn't stop there, my dearest friends owned these incredible horses and had just brought them over to my ranch with high hopes of rising to the next level of their horsemanship journey. We had such great plans.
I have been fighting the city and county to help me remove these bees, their only reply has been its your problem.  The financial devastation is over whelming.  The only answer I have been able to come up with is to lean my property. To excavate the bees we are looking at possibly over 50,000.  buildings and trees that they dwelt in have to be torn down so they will not come back.
I have given permission to lean the property so they can be properly excavated and no one else will be hurt, but this has left my ranch that I have fought 10 years to keep in jeopardy.
As you can imagine it has not been safe to be there with the bees still in force and any income I was trying to maintain is gone. It could take another month to insure safety. 
I know how independent and self assured all us horsey women are, but I need help. I am asking for donations at this time to help me sustain what I have left  for a short while. I know its hard to give for all of us right now, but even if a enough people gave $25.00 it would help until I can get my business up and operating.
 Please imagine what you would do if this was you just for a minute. The grief of the horses dieing, the devastated owners , dealing with the county and trying to still feed the horses who are left.
You can go on my website cowgirlsdontkry.com and donate. There is a donate button on front page. I am hoping as a horse community we can stand with each other in crisis. Not one of us could ever plan or prevent a devastation like killer bees, but like the horses they where noble that night and died with dignity, we should learn from them.  Thank you.........Christa Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Christa, this is heartbreaking!! I am a resident in Temecula and there have been a few times that I have driven through swarms of bees and I often wonder, what if my window was rolled down, or what if my children were out playing, so this story touches me. I can't give a lot, but I will definitely do my part and make a donation to give my support. I got your story from our meet-up group with Glenn Wurdeman. My heart goes out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now officially back in cyber world. My oldest son has qualified for his first NFR so needless to say I have been a little preoccupied. Heading to the NFR in Vegas December 2nd. I will be posting recent activity!! Wanted to drop by and say hi. Keep and eye on Colby Lovell and Kory Koontz. Team Roping !

    ReplyDelete